Trump Vows #VeteransReform10
Donald Trump vowed to make 10 veterans’ reforms in a veterans policy speech he delivered at the Westin Virginia Beach Town Center yesterday. The reforms are encapsulated under the hashtag #VeteransReform10.
- Appoint a VA Secretary whose mission is “to clean up the VA.”
- As lawfully authorized, remove and discipline employees or managers at the VA who failed in their duties.
- Ask Congress to pass legislation that grants the VA Secretary the authority “to discipline or terminate any employee that has jeopardized the health, safety, or well-being of a Veteran.”
- Appoint a commission to investigate fraud, cover-ups, and wrong-doing at the VA and present findings to Congress. The findings would be the basis for legislative reform.
- Those who do their jobs well would have their jobs protected and more opportunity for promotions.
- A 24 x 7 White House hotline staffed by real people to address valid complaints against the VA. “I will instruct my staff that if a valid complaint is not quickly addressed that the issue be brought directly to me, and I will pick up the phone and fix it myself. That’s a promise.”
- People who waste money in the VA would lose their bonuses. Those who improve service, save lives, and cut waste would receive bonuses. “If an employee finds a smart way to save a large amount of money that also creates better care for Veterans, a small, responsible portion of the money saved will be given as a one-time bonus and rest will be returned to tax payers.”
- Visa programs will be reformed to put Veterans at the front of the line.
- Increase the number of mental health professionals and outreach to Veterans outside the system.
- Veterans will have the choice to seek care within the VA or the “private medical option of their choice.”
NJ Governor Chris Christie introduced Trump.